Tuesday, December 2, 2014



To create my onomatopoeia I planned out sketches on paper before even going into illustrator. I looked up some inspiration online for words to use. I found words that I could visually make them look how they sound. I created 10 sketches and then narrowed it down to my favorite 5 and outlined those in sharpie. My favorite one is "splash" which is the one I spent the most time on. I chose this one because I knew it could use an effect to make the text look like water that just splashed. I found the splash typeface online which I started off my design with. I also spent the most time on this one tediously working to make it look like water the best I could. I used the warp tool to turn circle shapes into more realistic shaped water drops. Then I added shadows to each of the drops to give it a reflection effect to look more like water. I also liked the word "buzz" and my idea to make each letter into a little bubble bee. I just used the pen and pencil tool to create the wings and antennas.  I think I could have elaborated each letter a little more with more details to look more like a bee. If I were to do this project again I would definitely not have spent so much time on my first word. I spent way too much time creating "splash" that I was not able to execute the other ones well. Both "strike" and "splat" I could have made much more detailed if I spent more time on them. I think the idea of them was good but I just should have worked a bit more to make them complete. I learned from this project to manage my time better in the designs I'm creating and not focus too much on one thing. 

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Favorite First Marking Period Project


For the first project this marking period, I was asked to create a text based party invitation. I chose to create my invitation using Adobe Illustrator. This program was a better choice I believe for this project over photoshop or other similar programs because it is a text based program. Illustrator works in vectors which makes creating a text based piece easier instead of pixels like those other programs. Before I even went onto the computer to create my invitation, I planned the invite by making hand drawn sketches. I tried to draw different variations of the invite to see what would look best. After I created a sketch that I liked, I opened Illustrator and got to work. I started off with the simple text in the middle about the date, time, place, and RSVP. Then I used the word s'more almost visually defined. The "O" in "S'MORE" is the actual marshmallow part of the treat and the rest of the word is the chocolate and golden part of the marshmallow. The brown rectangles on top and bottom with party inside represent the graham crackers. I made this decision to define the word like these because I thought it was creative and more interesting then just putting in a boring picture of a s'more somewhere on my invite.  I also decided to make the text on the information of the party in different typefaces and fonts so that it is more elaborate and catches the viewers attention. From this project I learned that it is not easy to create something just using text. I realized how much I rely on photos for most of my work, but text can be just as interesting. I was able to use only text to create an image almost, when in the past I would always reply on photos. This project is not perfect though and there are some things I would change if I were to do it again. I would have used less dull colors, made the rectangles look more like graham crackers, and made the "O" look more like a marshmallow then just two parentheses. Overall, I believe I was successful in creating an invitation that followed the rules for the project and making it text based instead of image based.