Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Favorite First Marking Period Project


For the first project this marking period, I was asked to create a text based party invitation. I chose to create my invitation using Adobe Illustrator. This program was a better choice I believe for this project over photoshop or other similar programs because it is a text based program. Illustrator works in vectors which makes creating a text based piece easier instead of pixels like those other programs. Before I even went onto the computer to create my invitation, I planned the invite by making hand drawn sketches. I tried to draw different variations of the invite to see what would look best. After I created a sketch that I liked, I opened Illustrator and got to work. I started off with the simple text in the middle about the date, time, place, and RSVP. Then I used the word s'more almost visually defined. The "O" in "S'MORE" is the actual marshmallow part of the treat and the rest of the word is the chocolate and golden part of the marshmallow. The brown rectangles on top and bottom with party inside represent the graham crackers. I made this decision to define the word like these because I thought it was creative and more interesting then just putting in a boring picture of a s'more somewhere on my invite.  I also decided to make the text on the information of the party in different typefaces and fonts so that it is more elaborate and catches the viewers attention. From this project I learned that it is not easy to create something just using text. I realized how much I rely on photos for most of my work, but text can be just as interesting. I was able to use only text to create an image almost, when in the past I would always reply on photos. This project is not perfect though and there are some things I would change if I were to do it again. I would have used less dull colors, made the rectangles look more like graham crackers, and made the "O" look more like a marshmallow then just two parentheses. Overall, I believe I was successful in creating an invitation that followed the rules for the project and making it text based instead of image based.

No comments:

Post a Comment